need new engine / misc questions about engine swap

I've got to bite the bullet and swap out my poor dying 88's engine soon
before I move out of the area. I've been told that Southern Indiana is not
a great place to go VW part hunting, so before I leave New England, I'd like
to have my Scirocco squared away.

Basically, it needs a new engine. It got seriously abused (it seems) by the
previous owner and it eats and burns oil and eats coolant. Leaks galore, blah
blah blah. I have a friend willing to assist with swapping in a new engine,
but he wanted to make extra sure of a few things first. One, which 2L 16v
engines are "drop-in" replacements for an 88 16v? Are there any issues as
far as wiring harnesses/etc? Would a 2L 16v motor from a non-A1 car have to
be accompanied by any other parts?

Also, does anyone have a bead or is willing to sell a replacement engine
in the southern NH and northern MA area? Somewhere within an hour or so of
Lowell MA would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

--
Jason T. Nelson <jtn@jtn.cx>                     http://www.jtn.cx/~jtn/
BOFH Extraordiaire & Sysadmin Ombudsman               GPG key 0xFF676C9E