Argh! (16v Fuel Mixture)

OK, I got the car running pretty well so I thought I'd tackle the
mixture.  The Bentley says to adjust it to 10ma, but 4-16 is OK.  I read a
tech page and it said to set it to average 5ma (stock) or 3-4ma for
performance and it should bounce off 2.5 ma.  I have it set to average 4
and bounce off 2.5.  Its pretty close to where I started anyway.  I hope I
still pass smog (I'll find out tomorrow).

Anyone have any additional insight?

I'm getting a slight hesitation from 5-6K rpm.  Is this normal (fuel
enrichment module for fix)?  Injectors?

TIA!

John
87 16v (bone stock)