glass polishing: how to?

Scott-
  I bought the cerium oxide glass polishing kit from .....never mind where I
got it.  The point is, it takes for-effing-ever to make any progress at all.
I had a two-inch scratch on my new windshield and in an hour had removed
about 1/2 inch of it.  (I was using a 1/4hp/20Krpm Foredom tool)  At that
rate it would take every weekend from now 'til Cincy to polish up your
headlights. You'd be ahead of the game if you just bought new lights.
If anyone has a better method/product, please let Scott AND me know....

Larry