Blown exhaust Accordian

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Allen Kitchen
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:59 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Blown exhaust Accordian

I've recently had to drive through some water.  Not enough to suck into
the engine but it covered the exhaust when I stopped the car.  Suddenly,
the
exhaust noise moved to the front of the car.   A moment later, after
getting
to safety, I noticed that I could cover the exhaust hole completely and
the car kept running, meaning the exhaust had found another way out.

It seems to be coming from the accordianed metal piece coming off the
engine manifold.  A buddy of mine tells me that these parts commonly go
boom on 16V engines.  Me, I can't believe that such a weakness would be
designed into an engine.

Other than the dealership, how can I repair/replace this seemingly
delicate part of the exhaust?

Ah, the joys of driving through Houston.  One minute the road is dry,
and the next you and your car are swimming for higher ground.  And as
Houston is anal about tailsniffing for inspections, I have only a couple
of
months to
fix my Scirocco.

Allen Kitchen
88 Black Scirocco, Durandal

Techtonics sells a repair section for $140, it replaces everything
between the cat and the exhaust manifold, and then you weld your
existing cat to it.

The flex coupling usually goes bad from worn out engine mounts...

Peter

http://thescirocco.com/a1tt.doc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837553938