custom wheel offset question

Do you have a mk1 or a mk2?

15" wheels are your biggest problem when doing crazy offsets. If you
really don't want any rubbing, you really shouldn't go any smaller than
28mm or so and then stick with a 195 tire.

Until a couple weeks ago I had 25mm offset BBS wheels with 195 tires on
my '88, and they just *barely* rubbed a tad in really bad bumps. I now
have some 225/50-15 tires (which are actually even wider than most other
225's) on Corrado G60 (38mm offset?) wheels. I'm ripping the heck out of
my fender arch liners in hard turns when the suspension compresses. This
is with 400lb springs in front and autocross driving, btw.

I tried fitting 3.5" backspace 15" wheels on the car, just for kicks.
Besides the total rollerskate look, the wheel wouldn't even steer more
than 10% either way! :)

On the other hand, the FSP autocross guys run 225 or 235/45-13 tires on
13x9" wheels with 4.5-5" backspacing all day long. Those tires are more
than 2" shorter in overall diameter, so it gives you a heck of a lot
more room to move. If you make the wheel/tire small enough, it'll fit.
The ones in the picture look like they might be 13" or 14" wheels.

Of course if you run 600lb springs all the way around and don't expect
to turn a corner, you can run whatever tires you want! :P

Neal