16v turbo kits recommendations?

----- Original Message -----
From: Night Shadow <soltwede@privateI.com>
To: Larry <rocco16v@netzero.com>
Cc: Elijah R <nicadimus@hotmail.com>; <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: 16v turbo kits recommendations?

> If you live at altitude (above 5000 ft) don't bother with a super...its
> static spin rate means it loses the same power at altitude that a NA car
> does.  A turbo will spin faster at high altitude cause of the thin air,
> and still make the boost it was designed for....where as a super looses
> boost as you gain alitiude....

Well, now.  I'm gonna' have to think about that one for awhile...!!
There, I've thought...

I have to agree that turbos are not as altitude-sensitive as a supercharger,
but I believe this is because turbo boost is generally controlled by a
boost-reading device.  i.e. turbos generally are capable of developing more
boost than the system allows, therefore the limiting factor is not
barometric pressure, but the blow-off valve/wastegate.  So, a turbo system
will develope Xlbs of boost (so long as X= less than the maximum the turbo
is capable of) no matter what the altitude.  (Thin air cannot make a turbo
spin faster, only more or higher-velocity exhaust gases can do that)

It's quite possible that a supercharger, being boost-limited by drive ratios
only, will exhibit some loss of boost at higher altitudes, but the losses
will be much less, proportionately, than a NA motor will experience.

Example:         San Diego (sea level)     Denver (5000ft)
NA motor          200                               135     (for
demonstration purposes only!)
turbo motor        200                               200
SC motor           200                               185 (?)

Conversely, if you take your turbo motor to Death Valley (or El Centro!) it
will still make 200, whereas the SC and the NA motors may make 210!

Good point, Mr. Shadow.  Chalk up a point for the turbos.....

Larry  sandiego16v