O2 sensor replacement

Calimus wrote:

> While in Cincy I found out that my O2 sensor is kaput.  Someone there
> (sorry can't remember your name) told me about a place on the web that
> had them right one's for cheap.  They thought the addy was
> http://www.oxygensensors.com  and when I checked it out, they seem to
> have a universal 3 wire, but it would require crimping.  My question is,
> have I found the right place?  An if so, is this universal 3 wire
> w/crimping involved going to be a PITA?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> William
> --
> http://www.techography.com/scirocco (s.org forums)

After a long pitched battle on the list over soldering vs crimping I
would say this based on your question:

It won't be a PITA but you should take some precautions.

- Crimping means cutting your existing wires. From my point of view I
would hack the old O2 sensor and use it's end to mate to the existing
car's loom, this way the car itself is unaltered.

- Put a piece of shrink tube over the crimp to keep the grit and air
out.

- Spray some Liquid Wrench or or type penetrant, Not WD-40, on the old
O2 and let it soak in over night, spray again. There is no too much
unless it's really hot and catches on fire.  ;])

- Despite the last be prepared for the old one to be corroded in place.
No big deal just don't wreck the threads on the exhaust.

- New units sometimes come with anti seize on the threads. Don't get it
on the tip, just on the threads.

O2 sensors don't like sulfur (it combines with the Platinum in the tip)
and who knows what else so avoid WD-40 in the intake, combustion etc.
(This is why lots of products make sure to mention O2 sensor Safe).

hth and hope I haven't bored you by now.

TBerk