mixing shock brands?

Jeff Toomasson wrote:
> But what sort of performance characteristics were you trying
> to achieve with that combo?

Well, I'm very happy with the self-adjusting damping rates of the Bilstein
struts/shocks. Bilsteins are also lots more durable than Konis, Boges, and
the like. The struts are also inverted which decreases the amount of
unsprung weight and increases the ability to evacuate heat (the mortal enemy
of a damper). A quick look at the Bilstein's shaft will show you how much
better located they are within the strut body, too.

Anyway, I could have simply installed Bilsteins on the front and the rear.
However, I definitely appreciate the manual adjustability of the Konis. I
threw them in the rear so that I could bias the damping ratio rear to front.
This then affects the turn in response and balance of the car. Whereas with
Bilsteins installed front and rear, utilizing this technique would not be
possible. The ride comfort is also more highly depended on the rear shock
stiffness. So, using the Konis in the back gives me the greater opportunity
to soften the ride for highway drives, etc.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut