General engine questions: Compression ratio and Displacement

	I've never really understood what compression ratio is, but I think I get
it now. Is compression ratio just the ratio between the maximum and minimum
volume in the cylinder chamber? Like 10:1 would mean there is 10 times as
much area when then piston is at the bottom then at the top. Is this right?

Is displacement the difference in volume between when the piston is at the
top and when it is at the bottom?

With all that: Is this math right?

A = displacement
B = volume when cylinder is at the top
C = Compression Ratio

C = (A+B)/B = A/B + 1

Compression ratio is increased by increasing displacement, or decreasing the
area of the cylinder chamber when the piston is at the top (shaving the
head). Correct? Completely wrong?

Increasing the compression makes your engine more efficient as it then
squishes the fuel and oxegen closer together before it is ignited. So more
fuel is burned. Am I right about this as well?

eric