1.8 mounting

--part1_135.fa09fc9.2a3803a2_boundary

What can be gained by mounting the 1.8t Longitudinally ie. pistons running
from front to back,  compared to mounting it laterally, left to right?  My
Dad's new Passat has the engine mounted front to back, Isn't it more complex,
expensive, power robbing to mount it in this way?  Compared to mounting in
left to right like some other VW's have it?  Thanks

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6

--part1_135.fa09fc9.2a3803a2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">What can be gained by mounting the 1.8t Longitudinally ie. pistons running from front to back,&nbsp; compared to mounting it laterally, left to right?&nbsp; My Dad's new Passat has the engine mounted front to back, Isn't it more complex, expensive, power robbing to mount it in this way?&nbsp; Compared to mounting in left to right like some other VW's have it?&nbsp; Thanks <BR>
<BR>
Brian 86 16v<BR>
98 Jetta GLX Vr6</FONT></HTML>

--part1_135.fa09fc9.2a3803a2_boundary--