View from the wreckage - Cincy 2002 (long but a good read)

Oh...   My....   GAWD!!!!  This weekend was beyond
expectations - I had a great time and hope everyone else
did too.

My first and only complaint before I forget - there were
some beer bottles / trash left in the yard.  This is NOT
acceptable - please clean up after yourself.  On the whole
though, it wasn't bad - cleanup is pretty much done, only
took an hour or so max.

So for posterity, here's a rundown of what is still in my
already hazy memory.

Friday, Breandan was the first to arrive at about 10:00 AM
while I was still busy mowing the parking area.  I honestly
expected to get more mowing accomplished as the first
arrivals aren't usually 'til noon or later, but it wasn't a
problem.  Anyways, Julie had left a message on my phone
while I was mowing that she got separated from the group in
Rochester because her car died.  She had no phone with her
either...    I worried myself to death about her the rest
of the day as Jim said they didn't see her....

Eventually people began to trickle in, and by about 5:00 it
was becoming a steady flow of 'roccos pouring into the
driveway.  Julie appeared much to my relief - BEATING the
rest of the Rochester crew by almost an hour!  Way to go
Julie!  :)

A collection for dinner was started when the last two "big"
caravans (Rochester & NYC) arrived, and over 20 pizzas were
ordered and quickly consumed.  As normal, the alcohol
started flowing and the socializing continued...    though
it broke up a little earlier than the last couple years - I
was one of the last to hit the sack at 1:45.

Saturday is a blur.  Really.  Tech procedures got going in
earnest, and several people were nice enough to finish
stripping my sister's Golf GTI parts car.  Around 4:00,
everyone gathered near the garage to get the details on
this year's car art in the backyard - the original idea was
to spell out "rocco."  However, once we got rolling on
assemblying it, we figured we might be able to spell the
entire word with the number of cars on hand.  We made it -
barely.  In order to have enough cars, we rolled the
engine-less shell (ex-Wenzel mobile) and the brake-less '82
(under it's own power) to finish off the "S."

After more photo arrangements, dinner was served.  (BIG
thanks to Ellen, Angie, and my very own mom for making the
grocery run, and Todd & Breandan for playing chef.)  $5
each for all you can eat worked out well to pay for the
food and have a little left over to donate to running
Scirocco.org.  After dinner & darkness, we shined the video
projector shining on the garage door and showed pics from
the weekend's events plus a whole bunch of videos from
Jason Cammisa's laptop.  (Love the "Top Gear" stuff!)
Afterwards, many dispersed to their respective hotels, a
few of us die-hards kept right on partying 'til about 3:30
AM.)

Sunday was much more laid back.  Many people showed up to
hang out for a bit and then begin the trek home.  By
mid-afternoon we were down to a mere handful of people
relatively speaking. (10 people or so?)  Brian McGarvey and
Brian Haygood replaced motor mounts in Josh's 1.8t and sent
him on his way.  McGarvey then pulled the Topless Bunny
into the garage to change the master cylinder.  It was a
more involved process than originally planned as most of
the rest of the group went to dinner and they were still
there when we got back around 9:30.

The Brians left around 10:30, only to return because of a
possible brake leak.  That turned out not to be a big
issue, so they departed sometime around midnight.  At that
point I collapsed into sleep.

This morning, Jason Cammisa, Scott McNew (non-lister
travelling w/ Jason) and Ellen left by lunchtime, leaving
me to sink into post-Cincy depression.  Man it's been a
quiet afternoon.

With any luck, pix will be up on Scirocco.org before too
long.  Also, I imagine there will be a number of changes
for next year though the party is most definately still on.
 If you missed it this time, plan on it next year.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace