Replacing Water Pump

Sal Guzzo wrote:

> Can a water pump be rebuilt?  I need to replace the one in my rabbit and I'm
> not sure whether I need to by a new one or if I can rebuild the one in the
> car or just buy a rebuilt one...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Sal

1. Waterpumps are not easily rebuildable if only because; A. They don't
sell the parts at most parts stores & B. most weekend mechs don't have
the stuff required to do the work- I'd think a press would be the least
of your needs.

2. You can wreck a waterpump if the belts are too tight, see #3

3. I am against buying cheap on some parts, a water pump is so crucial
that I'd like to get a good OEM player in this position, (Giants beat
NY! WooHOO!) Um, sorry. You can get the half of the pump with the
impeller in it from your FLAPS (local parts store) and it will likely
get the job done but I have a feeling it won't be one of those 100K mile
units.

4. Getting a half a pump (the backside is just a shell) means you need
to be sure it is a model that fits the that backside half. Some parts
that bolt up as a whole don't match half to half. (Been there) Also
there are the nasty little bolts holding them together, see #5

5. Waterpumps come in two halves, and are held together with, what 10 mm
bolts? They are notorious for getting galling in the aluminum and
seizing up. Broken bolts, eh? Yuck. SOme pumps you can get as a whole
unit. See #6

6. Pulling the pump as a whole is the recommended way; don't just attack
the little 10 mm bolts, pull the two larger bolts holding it to the
block and deal with it off the motor. Get a new gasket (O-ring) while
your at it.

7. Still reading? Thx. Lastly I caution the gentle reader to be aware of
pulley offset, some motors have two pulleys on the crank, some have one;
belts line up two major ways- usually depending on whether your car came
w/ A/C. Look at the pump before buying the new one, esp if you cant take
it off and hold it up to the replacement prior to purchase.

hth, the baseball game is over now- I'm going outside.
TBERk