Which knock sensor can I use?

> Peter-
>
> I want you to answer this again:
>
> Are the Type I & Type II knock sensors interchangeable- just as long
as
> you observe the respective torque specs?
>
> Yes!
>
> I just re-read Bentley '85-93 7-16 5.1, and the only other caveat is
> changing the terminals on the harness, if you are swapping in a Type
II
> K sensor with gold contacts, to prevent corrosion.
>
> TBerk
> it's not that I don't believe you...
>
> What is it then? 8^)
>
> Peter

The specs for checking them seem to show a difference in resistive
values for the two types (when diagnosing them). It _soundss_ like this
may have some difference in the K/S computer; the computer might have a
difference?

TBerk

I'm pretty sure the Knock box is the same for the '86.5-'88 US 16V
Scirocco.

You can check it on ETKA...

The way I see it, the knock sensor is like a crystal that vibrates at a
certain frequency when the engine knocks... And the knock box
electronically retards the timing when this happens.
I think it's more dependant on frequency than voltage and they probably
went to infinite resistance, so that it wouldn't affect the K box
circuits.

I just went through 53 pages of my Scirocco 16V self study programme,
and they don't cover the K sensor at all. I think it's because it covers
the 139hp 1.8L 16V Scirocco GTX.

Peter