more A/C crap

before I even attempt my conversion, I thought I'd see if the A/C system was
still functioning (haven't tried it since I bought the car and found it
needed a re-charge).  So I fire the car up, slide the controls over to A/C,
the radiator fan kicks on but my idle doens't move and I don't hear the
compressor kick in.  I also find at the time the number 4 position on my fan
switch causes the blower fan to die.  So, I'm wondering if the a/c relay is
blown.  Would this cuse all the symptoms?

William