Water pump Q

Seller claimed from 16v scoirocco.
My used water pump that I bought has a hole in the bottom of it.  In the
half of the pump that has the pulleys attached right next to the seam of the
2 halves and points straight down (when installed) I can look in it and see
the shaft rotating. While it is out of the car of course.  It has not been
installed yet and I do not have the old one here.  I dont see threads in it
as in a missing bolt.  is it jsut a "weep" hole for slight leakage.  It
points straight down.
I noticed it after I had cleaned it all up and got it ready to install.
Now what?
Thanks as allways
Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion "...it's working....It's WORKING...!"
tracing electrical gremlins now...
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"