mk1 brakes

> Erik Seo - The Canyons Resort wrote:
>
> ok, I have a 77 scirocco....the front brakes are...well, tiny!
>
> I've heard that the 78 on is similar, but uses much bigger pads, how
> much better are the newer one's?
> ------------------------------------
> Erik Seo

This a delayed reply but the answer is Much Better!

You should search out the later year backing plates, calipers and while
you're at it replace the original rubber brake line ends with some
braided stainless steel units. Make sure they have a covering to keep
dust out and the braid from sawing on things.

New rotors would be a good idea, GTI vented are a good deal but you'll
need to spec the thinner pads to fit.

On the other hand, those ATE Atomic grooved rotors are cool, get em and
some Ferodo pads:

<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=9%2E4PD%2FFerodo>

hth,
TBerk