Tech: Fluctuating Oil Temp Gauge - 87 16v

> Brian Wagner wrote:
>
> The weirdest thing is happening when I apply my brakes my temperature
> shoots up 10 cel. And when idling it bounces up and down (remember
> this is a temp not a pressure gauge). I saw my car reach 140 c last
> night on the way home never seen that before, the water temp sat
> between the top of the light and the 3/4 mark. So it is staying cool.
>
> What could be causing this?
>
> Grounds - all clean and tight
>
> Sender - going bad
<snip>
> TIA
> Brian

The gauge shows based on electrical resistance, or lack thereof.

Grounds in general maybe OK but check the one serving the other side of
the oil temp; it may tie into something else in the area. Look for it
having a brown color, with a different color stripe on it. (duh.)

The sensor itself maybe flaky enough to be sensitive to lower 12v
supply.

TBerk