self machined tranny?

OK...there are sites out there that you can find with pictures and
stuff, but briefly and in general (to thwart all the nit-pickers) an
SMS occurs when the rivets holding the diff to the ring gear let go,
usually one by one, but of course when one goes the others get more
stress.  Well, inside the tranny, there's not much room for rivet
heads, or the little hats on two of them that hold a diff shaft in
place, and something has to give (that diff shaft can slide out too,
but I haven't seen it yet).  That would be the tranny case, in many
cases.  Then of course the ring gear gets loose and grinds everthing to
hell.

One of the worst things I've found regarding rebuilding an SMS'd tranny
(ask Wes Brockway) is the damage that not only the rivet heads can do,
but also what all the aluminum shavings do.  THey get *everwhere* and
pack up into things and generally wreak havoc.

SOooo...yes, your SMS'd tranny is rebuildable.  But I'd use it as a
practice tool for tearing down and learning, and maybe for a few gears
or other spares.  But don't hold high hope for it to be a working
tranny again, unless you get lucky.

Ron
--- the hitman <vwscir88@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i've got a tranny here that i was told that it self machined. i was
> thinking
> of trying to rebuild it, although i've never "opened" a tranny
> before. the
> way i see it is it's already screwed up, so what's the worse that can
>
> happen, i screw it up more? anyways, can some explain to me what self
>
> machining is and what i should be looking for? tia
>    hit
>
> So SayethThe Hitman
> http://www.techography.net/brettsgarage

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.