Cylinder head help & other questions - kinda long

Mark Mages wrote:

> Well - I figured out what I think was the problem with
> my car getting too hot, then not running at all
>
> Incorrect cylinder head gasket.
>
> 1st off - it is an 84 8v.  The cyl head has a big H
> stamped on it.
>
> The one P'man sent me looks correct on first glance,
> but when I pulled the head (60/60/80/80 compression) I
> found that the holes in the head and the holes in the
> block don't match the holes in the gasket.  I have
> semi-triangular and crescent shaped holes around the
> cylinders and the valves, and the gasket has all round
> holes that are smaller than the holes in the engine.
> I am guessing that these are the oil air and coolant
> circuation holes, and the restriction is what was
> causing it to not run.  PLEASE correct me if I am
> wrong, but the gasket should match pretty much exactly
> all the holes on the block and in the cyl head, right?

Most head gaskets will have round holes for the coolant passages in the
head gaskets. There needs to be some restriction here to quarantee
coolant is flowing thru all of the block and head. I doubt this is your
problem.

> Now - the guy at the shop told me to check for burnt
> piston rings by leveling the pistons and pouring
> solvent down the cylinders.  He said that it should
> take 2.5 to 3 hours for it to drain through the engine
> if the rings are good.  What kind of solvent should I
> use?  Is acetone too much?  Should I pull the pan and
> oil pump, or will they be all right if I leave them
> in?

I've never heard of this before, but don't know anyway to test leakage
with the head off the block.

> How do I tell if my cylinder head valves are burnt?
> there is carbon on the bottom of the head, but it
> doesn't look like anything is especially damaged.
> Should I disassemble it?  Anything in particular to
> look for?  Is there any way to pressure test the
> cyinder head to see how much compression I am losing
> in there?

Set the cylinder head on it's side with the ports facing up. Pour
gasoline into ports where the valve is fully closed. If you see any
seepage into the combustion chamber the valve will need to be lapped or
reseated.

> One other thing - TDC is with the 1 & 4 pistons fully
> raised, not 2& 3 right?  2& 3 would be TDC on the
> exhaust stroke....

TDC for the purpose of setting ignition timing is with 1 & 4 at TDC.