trouble shooting Boyko style (long, but OnTopic)

Okay, the car has appeared to be overheating since I put a oil new temp s=
ensor
in. So I pull the new sensor out and confirm the number is right, screw i=
back in and start checking the fan (it hadn't been doing the after run).
Jumper high / low, both functions work but there is some suspicious looki=
ng
green copper peeking out. So, either the thermoswitch (less than a year o=
ld )
is shot, or that connection is, but in any case I can jumper it, and at l=
east
the fan works, so there's hope.

So, off to town in the trusty TDI to get some wire, and I come back, and =
the
Rabbit is gone. Good, I think, I can put the bug inside for once.

So I get a brainwave to try to wire up the nice multi setting foglamp swi=
tch
to operate the fan's two speeds, and proceed to try to figure out what wi=
re
goes where on the switch. (BTW, do you think the light switch will burn o=
ut
from this?) =

Try as I might, now I can't make the fan run. Do I  run to the list? No, =
persist with the Bentley and multimeter in hand...

So the voltage to the fan is at 0.6 V or less, WTF???? I had the fans run=
ning
nicely earlier, so next up is to try a bunch of dfferent ground locations=
,
still not even 1 V. Then  try the battery, guess what , it's at 0.62V als=
o.

Why? Did I leave the radio on? =

No, while I was in town, my kid drove off with MY battery in the Rabbit, =
and
gave me his identical dead one. Won't be the only dead thing when he gets=
 that
Bunny back here!

So never overlook the less than obvious. You guys are good, but you might=
 not
have figured that one out! Dang kids these days.

Cathy, mother of one girl, hoping we upped my late son's life insurance..=
=2E