problems with the a1's

My 16V has not exhibited this behavior even whilst being wrung out at the
autoX by me or some of my 'less delicate' friends. Neither have my previous
Rabbit GTIs or Mk1 Jetta.

I suggest you'll want to re-visit bushings in the suspension and steering,
as well as ball joints and tie-rod ends. I would start with the steering
rack mount bushings.

It shouldn't work like you describe.

And somebody remind that half-Rocco-less lurker VanAmburgh not to drive like
that...

Regards,

Christian Els
Columbia, MO