diesel valve springs

My cam profile assumption is based on the fact that diesels function with
maximum cylinder filling of intake air.  The air to fuel ratio varies with
amount of fuel injected (100:1 ish at idle to maybe 20:1 at full power)
but the cylinder is always filled with the maximum amount of air possible,
which allows more fuel to burn, makes more power, and produces less smoke.
A normally aspirated diesel pumps the same volume of intake air per
revolution at idle as it does at rated speed, or with your foot mashed to
the floor.  A turbocharged diesel will pump a greater volume of air
because the turbocharger will have pressurized the intake air to allow a
greater mass of air to fill the same cylinder volume.  This is why
turbocharging is popular with diesels - it forces more air into the
cylinder which in turn can allow for more fuel to be injected, making more
power.

Although ~some~ automotive diesels have been throttled (older mercedes
comes to mind) to aid in engine braking, diesels in general, and
definitely VW diesels, are NOT throttled (that is to say, there is no
restriction of intake air.)  Diesels are "throttled", or regulated, by the
injection of fuel into the cylinders, which are always filled with as much
air as possible.  The cam profile will support this by having a lift and
duration which will allow the engine to "breathe" as freely as possible.

Hope you enjoyed the fireworks.