how do you adjust the shift linkage? sorry last one was blank

--0-695634777-1025724792=:94273

Ok, i just installed a new engine with the old trans in my '84 8v Roc.  At first I had all gears, except there was little differentiation between 1st and Reverse(you couldn't simply pull to the left and push up, you had to feel around for first a bit otherwise you'd end up in reverse).  So I tried to adjust the linkage.  I did this at the shift rod, where it clamps into the splines on the linkage near the diff and downpipe.  My method was to disconnect/pull out the rod from the clamp and then get in the car, center the stick as best I could, go back under and shove it back in the clamp(it sucks working alone).  That never worked so I looked in my bentley and it says there should be 15mm of clearance between the stop finger(the white funny looking plastic thing right under the shift lever and ball) and that piece of metal that sticks out that you have to push the stop finger under to get into reverse.  My first try at this I had first for one try, but when I got back in first was gone(I did have 2nd if I pulled REALLY hard to the left and back though).  I've tried this several times now, and never end up with 1st, sometimes I get 2nd.  Did first gear insta-burn out in my trans?  If not(hopefully) how should I go about adjusting the linkage?  All gears were A-OK until my engine swap.  Thanks in advance-

Rob