[Well if you want a rocco road trip story....]

Robbie Cotner <robw_z@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --------------------------------------------- =

>	MIME Type:=A0multipart/alternative =

> --------------------------------------------- =

An earlier post mentioned that we need more rocco stories instead of
complaints.  I have lots of complaints, but here's my great rocco story o=
n how
I got into roccos:

OK, this occured the day before I turned 17(July 4th, 2000):  This girl I=

really like wants to go on a road trip to a Green Day concert in Bozeman,=

Montana, about 1000 miles from here in eastern SD.  Problem is that the
concert is July 8th, and it's July 4th(and a 3 day drive there!)  Other
problem is NEITHER OF US HAD A CAR.  I wanted to impress her so I told he=
r my
'78 Datsun 280z was running, but inside I knew it wasn't close to going m=
ore
than 10 miles.  While driving home in my mom's car that night I see a lit=
tle
red car in a used lot on the side of the road.  On the windshield it said=

"working A/C $500".  At the time I didn't actually think I'd buy it, but =
the
next day I went to the lot it was at and test drove it(a mars red '84
Scirocco) and a $900 Ford Tempo.  It came between the fairly nice tempo a=
nd
the somewhat shitty Scirocco.  I always liked cars with character, so I b=
ought
the poor running Scirocco, drove home, told my mom THE TRUTH about my
situation and for some reason she agreed to let me go(I replaced the girl=
 with
a male friend in my story though).  So then I went and picked up the girl=
 and
we were off.  By the time night rolled around I found that the headlights=

didn't work.  A little dash-whacking and fuse replacing fixed that.  The =
whole
3,000 mile journey I had my fingers crossed that my newly beloved Rocco
wouldn't strand us.  I hadn't even had time to clean the car at all, ther=
were piles of sunflower seeds and we also found a dead mouse.  The batter=
y was
bad so we often had to push-start.  That was my first taste of true
independence, on my 17th birthday 1,000 miles from home with a car I'd ow=
ned 2
days.  When we got there we decided not to go to the concert anyway and j=
ust
fooled around in Yellowstone, then went back.  The whole ordeal lasted 4
days(we drove back nonstop).  I eventually got to dating the girl, and we=
 went
out for 18 months, which is a long time at my age.  First love in a Sciro=
cco! =

That Scirocco survived for about 5k more miles, but has passed on(just be=
cause
of a ba

d drive-flange seal I didn't know how to fix at the time), but the engine=
 from
it(now rebuilt) resides in my black '83 Scirocco, which I've owned for a =
year
and put a lot of work into.  So that's my Scirocco story if anybody reads=

this!

-Rob

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it, we do need more happy stories.=
 =

(But why was the "fooling around" described as an "ordeal"?) And the moth=
erly
touch "What were you thinking?"

My road trip stories all involve tow trucks or fluids of some type.(I thi=
nk it
may actually be approaching reliable, FINALLY) =

I think one of my best road trips was to Cincy this year, the roar of 16V=
's
all around me, drivers with goofy grins on their faces for hours on end,
really enjoyable. (and the car  got it's bad behavior out of the way earl=
y,
(chopping through a coolant hose), so I could relax for the rest of the t=
rip)

But the best two hours I've ever driven was bringing the car home, no pla=
tes,
so I'm sure the sneaky aspect helped, but it ran so great, and smelled so=

musty, with the dinm glow of yellow headlights to guide me,and I just kne=
w it
would be a long relationship. I was floating for a while after that, unti=
l my
son/hubby took it for a test drive later that night and it died. That was=
 the
only time I drove the 1.8L except for the test drive, the 2L went in shor=
tly
afterwards. It's been spoiled rotten ever since.