Well if you want a rocco road trip story....

--0-681668710-1025673577=:91497

An earlier post mentioned that we need more rocco stories instead of complaints.  I have lots of complaints, but here's my great rocco story on how I got into roccos:

OK, this occured the day before I turned 17(July 4th, 2000):  This girl I really like wants to go on a road trip to a Green Day concert in Bozeman, Montana, about 1000 miles from here in eastern SD.  Problem is that the concert is July 8th, and it's July 4th(and a 3 day drive there!)  Other problem is NEITHER OF US HAD A CAR.  I wanted to impress her so I told her my '78 Datsun 280z was running, but inside I knew it wasn't close to going more than 10 miles.  While driving home in my mom's car that night I see a little red car in a used lot on the side of the road.  On the windshield it said "working A/C $500".  At the time I didn't actually think I'd buy it, but the next day I went to the lot it was at and test drove it(a mars red '84 Scirocco) and a $900 Ford Tempo.  It came between the fairly nice tempo and the somewhat shitty Scirocco.  I always liked cars with character, so I bought the poor running Scirocco, drove home, told my mom THE TRUTH about my situation and for some reason she agreed to let me go(I replaced the girl with a male friend in my story though).  So then I went and picked up the girl and we were off.  By the time night rolled around I found that the headlights didn't work.  A little dash-whacking and fuse replacing fixed that.  The whole 3,000 mile journey I had my fingers crossed that my newly beloved Rocco wouldn't strand us.  I hadn't even had time to clean the car at all, there were piles of sunflower seeds and we also found a dead mouse.  The battery was bad so we often had to push-start.  That was my first taste of true independence, on my 17th birthday 1,000 miles from home with a car I'd owned 2 days.  When we got there we decided not to go to the concert anyway and just fooled around in Yellowstone, then went back.  The whole ordeal lasted 4 days(we drove back nonstop).  I eventually got to dating the girl, and we went out for 18 months, which is a long time at my age.  First love in a Scirocco!  That Scirocco survived for about 5k more miles, but has passed on(just because of a bad drive-flange seal I didn't know how to fix at the time), but the engine from it(now rebuilt) resides in my black '83 Scirocco, which I've owned for a year and put a lot of work into.  So that's my Scirocco story if anybody reads this!

-Rob