broken piston rings?

--0-1875780869-1025641490=:58493

what are the signs of broken piston rings?  My newly installed rebuilt engine (about 10 miles on it) makes a very LOUD abnormal grinding noise when started(and continues throughout running).  The timing covers are off and I can't see anything grinding in there.  It happened out of nowhere(shut it off last night and it's fine, start it up today and not fine).  A compression test would give me the full truth, would it not?

-Rob