Rearview mirror removal?

Speaking of "fixes" by previous owners, the base of the rearview mirror on
my Scirocco (the part that is glued to the windshield) has been replaced by
one of those generic one-size-fits-most bases.  The mirror mounted to it
okay, but was rather wobbly.  In my attempt to stabilize the mirror, I kinda
deformed that base and now it's extra wobbly.  (Oops.)

Is there a good, safe way to remove said mirror base--without damaging the
windshield--so I can replace it with a better one?

If not, maybe I'll get one of those cool "wink-style" panoramic rearview
mirrors.  Anyone using one of these that they'd recommend?

Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
'95 GTI VR6
http://www.divergent.org/mikes.vws/