It just quit (a 16v story)

As I'm dropping off the kiddies this morning, the Scirocco gave me a bit of
a surprise.  I was just sitting at a light, waiting for it to change, and
the engine just quit.  Any attempt to restart failed, but it sounds like
its not getting gas.  The pumps are running and the engine fires
occasionally, but that's it.  When I listen to the main pump, it almost
sounds like there's a rattle in it.  I'm guessing that the impeller is
damaged or broken.  Anyone have a similar experience (with or without kids)?

John
Long Beach AAA Support Group