Changing Symptoms

I've been posting over the last week or so about my 16v cutting out over 4K
RPM.  Well, in the last day or so, it seemed to be doing much better (all
the way to 7K), but that was not with a hot engine.  I got stuck in some
traffic today and the cutting out got much, much worse (as low as
3K).   The only thing I can think of is one of the temp switches, but its
OK (mostly) with the temp gauge in the middle.  Its only when it starts
creeping up that it gets bad (good thing its not summer).   Anyone have any
similar temp-related experience?

John
87 16v