Transmission question

--- Patrick Downs <patrickvr6@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list and just got my hands on an 87 16V Scirocco
> that has
> been sitting for two years.

Welcome.  I think there may be one or two people who can sympathize
with you on your situation.

The runs great but the transmission is
> shot.
> Also all the shift linkages seem to be worn out.  I called a local VW
> shop
> and they said that the trannys out of 2.0 Jetta's and several other
> cars
> will work.  Is this true?

Yes, any large mainshaft (aka "16V") tranny will physically fit.  So
will *any* 020 tranny even from an 8V car, provided you change the
clutch disk.  No problem.  See the "gears" section under scirocco.org.

Also I know the 16V is a close ration
> transmission if I replace it with a normal one will it hurt
> performance?

Yes, it could.  or it could help, depending on the new tranny's ratios.

  Is
> there a good list of parts #'s to replace to get rid of the slop in
> shifting?

Anybody who sells lots of VW parts will tell you what you need.  This
is commons stuff.

Thanks for any help and if you hear know of a tranny that
> is
> available please let me know.

Where are you located?

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.