Long Intake Runners - What are the Benefits?

It has always bothered the symmetricist in me that the early VW motors
came with an intake manifold that had the intake to one side.
Then the cross flow heads came out with eaqual length runners, each to
it's own cylinder.

(1. Without a 16v here to consult I'm forgetting how much it leans one
way or the other so I'm leaving it out, sides- I don't have one of those
anyway.)
[2. This is a problem w/ NOS distribution so I hear.]

In any case I got to thinking that a low profile (to clear the Mk1 hood)
but eaqual long tube intake might be a fun project. Aplication is the JH
head I have at the moment; basically any rear intake design 8 valve.

Can any fluid dynamic authorities speak to why long tubes (vs those
Badger 5 throttles w/ a shorter neck) make for what kind of power?

tia,
TBerk