MFA question (Long....)

This is the procedure I used to Install My MFA on my rocco:

Right now I dont have my Bentleys with me but I'll try to explain how I did
my MFA conversion.

Tools
-Small blade screwdriver(like the one used for eyeglass repair)
-Wire cutter

Parts needed
-MFA Intrument cluster. Can be from any Jetta, GTi, Golf, Scirocco MK2 with
the right tach/speedo combination for the one your replacing, or an upgraded
one for the one your replacing (8k/160 to 8k/140, 8k/140 to 7k/120).
-MFA control switch. Preferebly out of a GTi, Scirocco MK2, Golf 85-87 so
the rear wiper contacts are there.(Mine is from an 88-92 And works and looks
nice but the top plastic cover has to be either changed for the 88-92 one or
the existing one cut cause the turn signal switch will have to be used).
-MFA control wiring. This is the wiring to wich the MFA switch will be
conected to. This is the same for all models (Scirocco 82-88,Golf/GTi 85-89,
Jetta 85-89).The instrument cluster for the 90-92 cars use a single
connector on the rear so avoid them as the wiring is different.
-Vaccum "T" conector and 5 feet of vaccum hose. I got this from the power
lock system out of a Jetta.

Procedure

Salvage Operation (If you bought your parts new skip this)

1.Go to your local salvage yard and find a VW with the MFA setup that has
the tach/speedo combination of your choice.

2.Remove the sterring wheels center cover, then the center nut and remove
the steering wheel.

3.Now remove the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, unplug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Now there are 4 thin wires that run
together into a single plug(red,blue,white,yellow?). Disconnect this plug
and pull the whole switch assambley out.

Jetta Golf GTi donor car.

4a.Disconect and pull out the headlight switch, blinker switch, defroster
switch, radio and A/C control face plate. Now remove the screws located one
behind headlight switch, two in the upper part in front of the instrument
cluster, one behind the blind cover under the blinker switch, two in the
upper part in the radio bay, and three? in the lower part in the A/C panel
faceplate location (please correct my if I'm wrong).Then carefully pull out
the plastic faceplate.

5a.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster in place located in the upper
side corners of the instrument cluster. Tilt the cluster towards you a
little bit and pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of the
cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

Scirocco donor car.

4b.Remove the two screws located on the upper top part of the plastic cover
in front of the instrument cluster and remove the plastic cover.

5b.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the center
top of the instrument cluster. Tilt the cluster towards you a little bit and
pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of the cluster. Now
pull the cluster out.

6.Trace the wires from the connector on the MFA control
switch(red,blue/white,brown,white; if I remember correctly) the brown cable
should connect to a groung connector using a blade connector (pull it off)
and then route back to the cluster's harness. The connectors in the harness
hold the cables using a small plastic prong. Using the small screwdriver
lift the prong wich holds the brown cable and pull the cable out. It should
come off very easy (don't pull to hard on the cable or you might break it!).
Repeat the procedure for the other 3 wires. Take note to wich prong each
wire is attached to for reassambly
(connector's color/connector's prong number/cable color). Then carefully
remove the MFA switch plug with the wires as a mini harness cutting out all
the straps that hold the wires in place.

Installing operation

7.Remove the steering wheels center cover, then the center nut and remove
the steering wheel.

8.Now remove the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, unplug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Now there are 4 thin wires that run
together into a single plug(red,blue,white,yellow?). Disconnect this plug
and pull the whole switch assambley out.

Jetta, Golf, GTi car.

9a.Disconect and pull out the headlight switch, blinker switch, defroster
switch, radio and A/C control face plate. Now remove the screws located one
behind headlight switch, two in the upper part in front of the instrument
cluster, one behind the blind cover under the blinker switch, two in the
upper part in the radio bay, and three? in the lower part in the A/C panel
faceplate location (please correct my if I'm wrong).Then carefully pull out
the plastic faceplate.

9a.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster in place located in the upper
side corners of the instrument cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

Scirocco car.

9b.Remove the two screws located on the upper top part of the plastic cover
in front of the instrument cluster and remove the plastic cover.

9b.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the center
top of the instrument cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

10.Using the note taken at dissasambly attach each cable using the
connector's color/connector's prong number/cable color.(this I'll give the
exact numbers when I get back home and check my bentley). Now route and
attach the wiring to the existing wiring using tie-wraps.

11.Open the hood and go to the engine compartment. There is one large hose
that goes from the vaccum booster to the intake manifold. Along this hose
there is a vaccum PCV valve with two small vaccum hoses comming out from it.
One goes to the small computer (OXS computer?) and the other one goes to a
vaccum reservoir? behing the right fender. Cut the one that goes to the
reservoir? and attach the vacumm "T" connector. To the remaining free
conection of the "T" attach the vaccum hose routed for the cluster. Route
the hose troughout the firewall and up to where the instrument cluster will
be.

12.Connect the vaccum hose to the MFA cluster and fasten the cluster in
position. Set the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the
center top of the instrument cluster. Now reatach the speedometer cable,
easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers. Connect the two wire
harness connectors (one white, one black) to the instrument cluster located
in the bottom corners of the cluster. Reatach the plastic cover in front of
the instrument cluster fastening the two screws located on the upper top
part of it.

13.If you are using 88-92 MFA switch you'll need to replace the plastic
cover that goes on top of the steering column's lock. Since this switch only
fits with the matching turn signal switch. Other solution is to lenghten the
groove made for the signal switch to slide upward. I used a hacksaw blade to
lenghten it by 3/4 of an inch.

14.Now reatach the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, plug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Attach the connector holding the 4
thin wires (red,blue,white,yellow?) to the connector in the MFA wiring
harness.

15.Reinstall the steering wheel, tighten the nut and reatach the center
cover.