brake lights

Hey all.. My question is this:

How often do the hydraulic brake light switches normally last?

I've bought 4 in the last 2 years, and at this point I have to really push
on the pedal to get the brake lights to turn on. as for a second
question...:

Is there any way to clean out hydraulic brake light switches?

I'm wondering that if I clean them out, they may work again for at least
another 6 months. failing that, a third question:

How can I wire up a switch to the brake pedal?

I have a switch that when the button is pressed (and held) it is open. and
when the buton is released, it closes the circut.I was just assuming that
was the way that it worked, and I was wondering if anyone knew how the
hydraulic ones work. I assume that they make contact when there is pressure,
therefore I could just wire this switch in usint the lines off the switch in
the engine compartment.

Thanks for the help,
Jerry Carter
'81 Mk1 Scirocco

P.S. you may note the e-mail address change, this is what I do insted of
sending annoying I'm on vacation messages!