[tech]: idle specs on a 2.0L 16v cis-e?

At 06:52 PM 1/24/2002, Michael Abatzis wrote:
>so, jason (since you seem to be the only one reading this thread), you
>would agree that setting the duty cycle/bypass screw slightly lower than
>normal would be the solution? or at least on the low end of normal?

Well, "slightly lower" than where it should have been for a 1.8,
right.  But how can you be sure it was actually in the right place for a
1.8 in the first place? ;)

The trick I would do is to let the car idle at normal operating
temperature.  Then disconnect the electrical connection to the idle
stabilizer valve.  Set the idle speed using the bypass screw so that the
idle will be just slightly higher than where it should be -- say,
1000rpm.  The reason I suggest doing it slightly higher rather than dead-on
is for three reasons:

1.  Setting the mechanical idle higher allows more flexibility for the ISV
to compensate for idle under cold conditions.

2.  Setting the mechanical idle higher helps the ISV to more quickly (and
easily) stabilize idle when, for example, coming to a stop where the
engine's speed is rapidly approaching idle.  Rather than having to quickly
let a lot of air through the ISV to keep the engine from stalling (i.e. if
the mechanical idle was set to 700rpm), the ISV would only have to pull
down the idle 50rpm or so once the car stops.

3.  It lessens the chance for stalling under all conditions (including #1
and #2) by giving the ISV more room to add air to the intake stream to
compensate for your dumb-ass launch. :)

>as for the ignition...i don't have my bentley with me, but i guess it
>doesn't really matter how it knows what the idle speed is... it has to do
>it somehow. i can think of indirect ways, but seems it would be easiest to
>measure it off the ignition somehow.

Agreed.

>btw, that wasn't what i meant about real knowledge-just a concrete answer
>instead of hypothesizing (though that's half the fun with these cars, i guess)

That's all the fun.  You never quite know what the fuck is going on. :)

Jason