From: John Erickson [mailto:hombre@elp.rr.com]
Sent: 21 January 2002 12:44
To: Larry; 16V Jason; Anthony Pelletier; Jorel Jackson; Josh Hignight
Cc: volkswagen scirocco
Subject: Was: More on the Valentine Detector - Is: C & D

I swore it off when I was in my 20s.  I'm almost 50 now (although that may
have little to do with my maturity level) and still can't stand it.  I'll
pick up a copy of R&T once in awhile, but only actually subscribe to one
rag: Autoweek.  I barely have time to read it.  Maybe I'd be better off
with a monthly again, but they scare me.  They got all glossy several years
ago and, quite frankly, I'm surprised they're not full of food ads and
recipes.  I guess they still know who their target audience is.  I wish
they were a little more discriminating with their advertising and the
influence of that advertising.  Cars getting reviewed tend to be
accompanied by big ads from that cars manufacturer (a marketing department
hard at work, I'm sure).  Oddly enough, the reviews are never mediocre when
this occurs.  I firmly believe the adjectives change when dollars are spent.

In conclusion (!), I believe that C&D is an acquired callousness, not
anything to do with taste or maturity.  If you can stand it, you have
thicker skin than I. :)

John
El Paso