Cat Back installation

This would be a question for a MK1 Scirocco but the MK2 may be similar.
The largest piece of the system is the 6'long or so portion that goes
between the muffler and the cat.  It has an agressive "zig-zag in it near
the rear where it goes up and over the axle beam near the drivers side rear
wheel.  The front 2/3 of this log piece is fairly straight and includes a
small "pre-muffler" or resonator.
Question.  Do you have to drop the axle beam, at least on one side to thread
this through?  Is it mathematically posible to guide it over the axle from
the rear?  I have been struggling with it for a while and it seems no amount
of rotating and jiggleing will accomplish this.
I know a few of you have done this exact same thing.  This is a 2.25"
cat-back for MK1.
16v conversion (that shouldnt matter on this portion of the exhaust though)
Thanks
Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"