[power loss at high rev's]

I know there is a rev limiter, but does it change for each gear =

Not that I'm aware of, ours runs up to high 6000's no problem, any gear, =
in
any case 5500 is way too low on a 16V, just starting the fun...

Start of clutch problems maybe

Yep, you said power loss, it still moves right, but just revving with no
corresponding forward motion (like it's in neutral?) Does it smell like b=
urnt
clutch?  (not a good thing) And if you keep driving it, you'll notice the=

power is available in an ever lower rev range rev range, (diesel like). T=
hen
from my limited knowledge, I'd suggest start looking for a clutch. I take=
 it
the bearings are in...what next eh? =