[tech] swaybar question

Let me restate my original point.
If you put stiffer sway bars on both ends of the car the car will roll
less. This assumes the bars are stiffer in the correct proportion and
that the front/rear roll stiffness distribution remains unchanged. The
car will handle substantially the same, will have slightly higher grip
due to the more upright tires and will be more responsive.
You are correct in that getting the roll stiffness distribution correct
will have a much bigger influence on handling in a street driven car
than reducing body roll and adverse tire camber by a couple of degrees.
You are incorrect in you description of the Scirocco rear axle's
behavior. The Scirocco rear axle with its twist beam essentially at the
trailing arm pivot has NO camber gain. In other words the tire's camber
will change the same amount the body rolls. Later VW's have the twist
beam moved back from the pivot. These have camber gain that is some
consistent percentage of body roll.  Cars with a beam axle where the
cross beam is placed longitudinally at the axle center line have camber
gain that matches body roll.
For all intents Sciroccos have essentially no camber gain front and
rear. Limiting body roll is the key to getting maximum grip with this
kind of suspension particularly in racing applications with wide low
profile tires.
Dan