From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 4:14 PM
To: Aireq; Scirocco Mailing List
Subject: Re: <=86-87 8v scirocco bend-down at the nose??? (interesting)

This will help everyone see what i see.
Notice (in aireqs pics), on the 16v, the body line on the fender curves. On
the 8v, the fender line is more straight, closer to making a straight line
from the rear view to the turn signal. For this line to be more straight and
still meet in the same place at the nose, it has to angle somewhere. On 8v
and below, this occurs at the fender-door seam. Along with this the bumper
strip is straight behind the front wheel well and angled downward in front
of it (16v is straight with the rest of the body line).
Its very easy to see if you squat down in front, looking down the body line.
Not very easy to pick out in side view pics.
I've got a bud in town with a 16v. I'll invite him over and take comparison
pics from the same angle for comparison.
P.S. I've already got a nasty-mail from Patrick Bureau :) I'll cut/paste
here (hope you dont mind, patrick).
-----
I hate you !

until I read this message, I though the lines on the 8v I have where most
wonderful, now you point this "bent" line 8v defect.... (where is my gun
????), I don't know what to do... Al, your eagle eye has totally crashed and
turn my lovely Prowler Orange Kamei X1 85 8v Scirocco into an ugly orang
duckling....

(Ahem!)

Seriously, eagle eye you have, I never noticed the difference until i
studied and used photoshop to over lap in layers the 2 pictures...
yes, indeed, there is a slight angle on 8v body that the 16v does not seem
to have... but the scirocco every one loved the first time around was the
MKI and we owners of MKII 8v should remain proud of this heritage from the
German sport car that has brought the second genration of the "fun at 55mph"
that is the Scirocco, and the proof that remains of this heritage is that
same fender "bent" live...

(Ahem....! what? you did not know ?tonite, is sunday nite : the Patriotic
Speech nite ... hehe )

All. Yes to change the "angled 8v line fender" just swap'em for 16v
fenderrs. should be a straight bolt on.

<getting off soapbox and expecting aplauses>

[-------------------------------------]
[ A Texan's Scirocco - Patrick Bureau ]
[ 1985 8v Prowler Orange Kamei X1 Roc ]
[ http://www.longcoeur.com/scirocco   ]

-----
Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (shell donor ready to rock, still
planning, rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)