Help!

     First, huge thank-you's to you and Dave for responding.  The new cable is
in and seems fine for the short term.  I think in the spring my little 8v
hangar queen is going to need a new pedal assembly.  Any comments on how much
of a PITA this will be?  It looks to be a pain because of where things are, but
pretty straight forward.
     After the new cable was in, I looked and noticed the way it attaches to
the pedal forces it up against the sleeve which is why the problem.  It's
hooked over the top of the pedal and this is obviously the way it was intended.
 My next question is a little more odd.  Looking at the top of the pedal,
there's a piece of metal on the side, just below where the current clutch cable
connects that forms a channel with the pedal body and has a hole through it for
a pin or bolt.  I'm thinking that putting the connection point between the
cable and the pedal in there would line the cable up much better with the
guides preventing the wire-saw cutting effect I've noticed.  Unfortunately, the
OEM cable end will not fit.  Did I get the wrong cable and it's actually
supposed to be pinned in there?  Or is it a connection point for a different VW
model and they just used the same basic pedal assembly, as they've done in so
many other areas?
     Again, thanks for the assistance.  We'll get the little beasty back on the
road in time to get me to work Monday :)

Cheers,
Colin