From: Benjamin Harder
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 5:58 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Trany gear Question.

> > For those who really know this stuff a whole lot better than I do,
> >
> > Would there be any benefit from taking the 4th and 5th gear from an
> > FN (0.91 & 0.71) and putting them in an ACN (already at 1.03 & 0.75)?
> >
> > Cory

 I would say no.  However, this really depends upon what your goal is
for the tranny... the ACN is already a relatively wide ratio gearbox,
and with a 3.67 final drive I personally would NEVER swap to a taller
4th and 5th gear.  You will find that a .71 5th with a 3.67 final
will give you about 2500 rpm @ 65 mph, which is just too low for any
"normal" VW (8v or 16v).  Unless you are building a high HP turbo
motor I would definitely stay away from this gearing.

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco