87 vw scirocco 16v

>I just brought a scirocco 16v  and the tranny is blown.  I have a 8v
>tranny to put in it.  but I want to know how much horsepower can the 8v
>tranny handle before it blows.  i'm planing to run 200hp.

Pretty much exactly the same as a 16v tranny. :)  The major difference is
in the spline count and size of the input shaft for 100mm CV'd 8v transaxles.
It takes serious (really serious) HP and shock loading to get the decent 020's
to blow due to over driving.  However, they do seem to regularly fail for a
variety of reasons with only modest HP, but the failures really don't seem
to often be related to the high HP...interesting...anyone else have some
relevant experience on this?

How are you planning to run 200hp?  The only way to get 200hp out of
our style 16v's would be forced induction or individual throttle bodies with a
set of decent cams.  Most likely a good programmable engine management
system in either case is necessary also.  What is your plan?

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net