Rear brakes engaged in cold weather

When it's really cold, such as first thing in the morning, my car drives
like the parking brake is still engaged, after a few miles, the resistance
goes away and everything seems OK.  Today I smelled what I guess were the
brakes being burned to hell on the rotors.  What is the problem here?  I
just got the rear pads changed but this problem occurred last winter as
well.

Thanks,
Sean Clark
88 16v Scirocco