From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Scott F. Williams
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 8:09 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: BANG! No more GTX :^(

PART I
Guys, I can't believe I'm saying this, but my mighty 323GTX may be no
more.
I was
heading out to meet a buddy to pick up some VW parts and... Well... I
got
into a fairly significant accident. I'm sure that I was not at fault,
but it
ain't my opinion that counts.

This is actually relevant to y'all in the VW world because it derails my
plans for developing the G60-based engine management system for use with
my
throttlebodies. A lot of dubbers have been waiting on the results of
this
project because it opens up the potential for a tremendous amount of
tuning.
"Unfortunately", I now have a TEC-II unit sitting around doing nothing.
It
was purchased to be installed in my GTX. However, with that option no
longer
a consideration, it looks like it is destined for service in my
Scirocco.

I really hope that somebody else can pick up the torch...
*********************
PART II
For those interested in the grisly details of the accident, here goes...

Picture this:
I was headed towards a traffic light at a tee intersection. (The road
went
straight and to the right.) The light turned yellow and a car turned in
front of me (heading towards my right). I had no problem passing this
car
and continued straight. Unfortunately, another car decided to follow the
first car and cut me off. I attempted to dodge it but drilled him right
in
the radiator with the driver's side left corner of my bumper.

This would appear to be a cut and dry case where the other driver was at
fault. (I had the right of way to go straight.) The problem lies in the
fact
that a witness (in back of the car that I hit) says that the light
*might*
have been red. In that case, then neither of us should have been in the
intersection. I maintain that the light was yellow as I crossed the
line,
but it is literally a he said/she said issue. So, the police officer
wrote
it up as being both my fault and the other guy's fault.

I have no collision insurance on the car, just liability. So, it is very
possible that I will get nothing from the guy at all. It also remains to
be
seen whether the car can even be repaired. It *looks* like it could be,
but... at what cost? Very importantly, how will the adjuster value these
mods. (Don't answer that question; I'm getting pissed off just thinking
about it.)

The good thing is that I have all my repair/hotrod receipts. It will
also be
fairly simple to demonstrate what GTXs in my state of tune command on
the
market. I'm going to speak with the claims person on Monday.

So, wish me luck.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut