transmission speedo reduction gears and stuff

There appear to be four available, depending on your final drive.  The 4.25
is the eco diesel part.

020 3.67 final = 171 957 821 B (red)
020 3.89 final =  (blue)
020 3.94 final = 171 957 821 A (white)
020 4.25 final =  (green)

I'm a little unsure of the blue one.  Most of the data came from here:

http://cars.vwsport.com/gears/index.html

John