MKI vs MKII windsheild and seals

I should get a new windshield for my mk2 then.  Does
anyone else find that the windshield scratches VERY
easily on their mk2?  The PO of my car used bad
windshield wiper blades on my car, so there are bad
scratch marks from the wipers.  Not only that, but
there are fine marks from when I used a snow and ice
scraper to clear the outside of the windshield.  I
can't remember scratching a windshield with a snow
scraper on any of the jap or yankee cars I've had.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT
'81 Kawasaki KZ550