Allyns car explained

So I've seen this metallic material used to replace the crappy black
disintegrating foam that our cars have stuck to the inside of the hood....
What exactly is that and how hard is it to trim. Does some one make a black
foam that doesn't fall apart?

I'm getting tired of finding little black flecks of foam pealing off!

-RGK