[tech/update]: fixed idle! and some observations...

so i took off the idle valve today again--sure enough, nothing was moving in
there. i realized that the electrical tests were probably working because it
was a mechanical problem; the current was getting there and activating it,
but the solenoid or whatever's in there didn't have enough juice to move the
stuck valve.  a lot of carb cleaner went in, and i needed to work the valve
a bit to free it (didn't do that last time, cause i didn't see what was
supposed to be moving).  timed, set mixture, set idle, and for the first
time since the engine swap, everything's within specs! woo hoo! also,
noticed that my idle switch now works-- when i was trying to fix the problem
before, i checked the switches. i noticed that the idle switch didn't seem
to do anything; idle didn't change at all when the switch was on/off. now it
does. i'm guessing that the ecu was trying to compensate for the stuck
valve; hence the switch, and also probably why i couldn't adjust the duty
cycle. wondering if this will affect the fuel economy (~20mpg city vs.
~22-23 mpg with the 1.8). anyway, so i finally got everything working- now i
can turn my attention to a new exhaust rattle. are these things ever
*completely* problem free :) ?

-michael
88 smooth(er) running 2L 16v scirocco!