[tech]: STILL high idle speed-driving me nuts!

ok, so i've had intermittant idle probs since the 16v 2l swap in august
(still cis-e). every once in a while it idles at 2-3k rpm for a few
days/weeks, then it'll run fine. usually doesn't hunt; when it finds an idle
speed it likes, it stays pretty constant.  all new vaccum lines, all
electric connections cleaned during swap, new grounds, timing perfect. oxs
checked out a month or so ago. the main suspect is the idle stabilizer
valve. the evidence:

1. the dwell stays at 26' (within spec) no matter what. turning the bypass
screw does little to the idle, and less to the dwell.
2. electrical tests check out w/ valve-- continuity between terminals,
getting voltage, humming nicely. however, disconnecting the plug with the
engine running does nothing to the idle, even when a/c compressor etc turned
on. hmmm...
3. when the thing is humming (and when it isn't too), i can blow air from
one side to the other w/o resistance at all. i'm guessing this isn't how
it's supposed to work (should alternate open/closed per duty cycle, right?)
but i don't know.
4. when driving, engine still doesn't like to go below 2k rpms. it kind of
bucks like the throttle's stuck open. again, if the valve is faulty, this
makes sense.

my theory is that the damn thing isn't closing at all, and letting too much
air in. but the bentley tests check out, which makes me wary about replacing
it, especially since they're $200. any other ideas? i'd appreciate any help
from you knowledgeable guys...

-michael