Can the 16v engine be supported without removing the intake?

--0-997260383-1014518862=:6693

 You and Al were right - this was ridiculously easy. I guess I was confused by the Bentley because the only place it mentioned removal of this mount is during engine removal where support of the engine is obviously a must...
I shudder to think what we would all do without this list!  :)
  Larry <rocco16v@netzero.com> wrote: JT-  I've removed/replaced three rear motor mounts on my 16V and didn't have to support the engine at all.  From the looks of the four-mount design, I'd say the two end mounts (pass and drivers side) do all the supporting, with the front and rear controlling fore-and-aft movement (rocking).  Don't worry, go for it. Larry  sandiego16V----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Toomasson To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 1:55 PMSubject: Can the 16v engine be supported without removing the intake?

I'm eyeing replacing my rear motor mount, but I can't get to the hoist holes to support the engine. Does the intake HAVE TO BE removed?

I figure if I have to take the intake off, I might as well take the valve cover off and install my cams.

I've thought about using the jack to support the engine, but the small jack I have, I already have to use a booster to get the car high enough to work under it...

Both of the cams and motor mount were things I was going to wait until the 2.0 goes in, but I'm bored and feeling tinkery...I'm sure you all sympathize...

thanks in advance!  JT

--0-997260383-1014518862=:6693

<P> You and Al were right - this was ridiculously easy. I guess I was confused by the Bentley because the only place it mentioned removal of this mount is during engine removal where support of the engine is obviously a must...
<P>I shudder to think what we would all do without this list!&nbsp; :)
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Larry &lt;rocco16v@netzero.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>JT-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp; I've removed/replaced three rear motor mounts on my 16V and didn't have to support the engine at all.&nbsp; From the looks of the four-mount design, I'd say the two end mounts (pass and drivers side) do all the supporting, with the front and rear controlling fore-and-aft movement (rocking).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Don't worry, go for it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Larry&nbsp; sandiego16V</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=jtoomasson@yahoo.com href="mailto:jtoomasson@yahoo.com";>Jeff Toomasson</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, February 23, 2002 1:55 PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Can the 16v engine be supported without removing the intake?</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<P>I'm eyeing replacing my rear motor mount, but I can't get to the hoist holes to support the engine. Does the intake&nbsp;HAVE TO BE&nbsp;removed?</P>
<P>I figure if I have to take the intake off, I might as well take the valve cover off and install my cams.</P>
<P>I've thought about using the jack to support the engine, but the small jack I have, I already have to use a booster to get the car high enough to work under it...</P>
<P>Both of the cams and motor mount were&nbsp;things I was going to wait until the 2.0 goes in, but I'm bored and feeling tinkery...I'm sure you all sympathize...</P>
<P>thanks in advance!&nbsp; JT</P>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-997260383-1014518862=:6693--